Baylor has never been this close to a Heisman, and we haven’t been this good as a football team in decades!
Art Briles and the entire team should be proud of a fantastic season. The icing on the cake would be our first ever Heisman win.
Here are three reasons RG3 deserves to win:
1.Statistics don’t lie.
- RG3 threw for 3,998 yards and 36 touchdowns with a completion rate of 72.4% and a passer rating of 192.3!
- On the ground, he rushed for 644 yards and nine touchdowns!
- RG3 has 1,000 more passing yards than Andrew Luck, the pre-season Heisman favorite!
From the Baylor website:
“Through the first quarter of the season, Griffin not only leads the nation in passing efficiency — he’s on pace to shatter the NCAA record. A good quarterback throws more touchdowns than interceptions; RG3 has more touchdowns than incompletions on the season (13 TDs, 12 incompletions).
He owns or shares 42 Baylor records, including career passing yards, touchdowns and completion percentage. And while he’s developed into an elite passer, he’s still got that speed when needed; he’s also in Baylor’s top 10 in career rushing yards and touchdowns.”
Some have even claimed he is the fastest quarterback in college football history!
2. Raising the level of an entire program.
- Under his leadership, Baylor beat T.C.U. when they were ranked in the top 15, the first time Baylor had defeated an opponent ranked that high since the early 90s.
- Baylor defeated University of Oklahoma for the first time in 20 tries.
- Baylor defeated Texas Tech for the first time since the DVD had been introduced 15 years ago.
- Baylor defeated the University of Texas in back-to-back to seasons for the first since the early 1990s.
- Baylor can win for the tenth time this season at the Alamo Bowl which will be the first time since 1980 when Mike Singletary was at Baylor.
Academically, RG3 graduated with his undergraduate degree in 3 years and graduates with his masters degree in May. He was in the top ten of his high school graduating class. Off the field, he has impressed those who have had the chance to meet him as well. Finally, he seemed to raise his level whenever the spotlight was on him even brighter. He seemed to thrive under pressure.
Honestly, this has been the best season I’ve ever witnessed of Baylor football. Hoping RG3 wins the Heisman tonight to cap off a great season!
UPDATE: Sitting at a bar/restaurant in Waco called George’s last night, Debbie, the kids, and I celebrated RG3 winning the Heisman trophy! Read his fantastic speech here!